Saturday, April 10, 2010

Stockholming Myself - Day One

The theory behind Stockholming Myself, something I made up that is composed of absolutely zero science, is that if I take the dreaded full-length body shot picture every single day, I will either notice gradual change from my diet & exercise plan or, failing that, will learn to like what I’ve got based on continual, unrelenting exposure. - Temerity Jane

So one of my favorite bloggers, TJ, has a new project: Stockholming Herself.  And she wants other people to join in.  And because when I am procrastinating doing assignments, absolutely anything sounds like the BEST! IDEA! EVER! I decided to join in.

For me, in addition to the whole "acceptance" thing (which at the moment is, "I'll accept my body when it's 20 pounds lighter"), I'm hoping this will encourage me to put more effort into what I wear.  At the moment I'm really schizophrenic with my wardrobe - it's either "overdressed matron" or "homeless junkie".  I'd like to try to find a balance between those, so I look pulled together, but also age-appropriate.

(Plus, this might mean I actually get dressed on days I don't have to go anywhere!)

And... I've kind of run out of excuses to postpone posting the photo at this point.  Ugh.

You would not believe the number of photos I had to take to find one that wasn't so blurry I looked like I had eight arms.

Most of the other people participating in this project are full of optimistic "I look better in the photo than I
thought!" comments.  I'm going to blame the cheap mirror for the fact I look 10 lbs heavier in the photo than I did when I looked in the bathroom mirror.

Anyway, on to the fun part!  Top, World (several years old). Skirt, David Lawrence.  Shoes, Kors by Michael Kors (also several years old, and also the victim of a number of drunken falls, so, you know, they're a lot less fancy than they sound.)

4 comments:

  1. The first day is way harder than all the other days. I am lucky that I have developed a healthy self-image already but just HATED how I looked in photos, and already I am noticing changes in my attitude.

    Hooray for joining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking pictures inside when you can't lose the flash is WAY hard. And looking at a full length picture the first time is also kind of way hard, sometimes. It was for me, at least. It still kind of is, actually. It DOES get easier, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, welcome! TJ started something that I'm sure is going to snowball into a huge project, once we get past that dreaded first day. I just snapped the pic, gulped, and posted. And it's true, very true, that our perceptions of ourselves are different from what the photos tell, often due to external props (or lack thereof), or to our own brain firing in the wrong direction. I can't wait to see how you feel about it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I like that top, and frankly if you think you look 10 lbs heavier I can only wish I looked like that!!

    ReplyDelete